In learning to cope with your partner’s chemical dependency, there are also specific things you should avoid doing.
- Here are some of the major don’ts:
- Lie, make excuses, or cover up.
- Blame yourself for your partner’s behavior.
- Make threats, unless you can follow through.
- Be ashamed.
- Try to control or regulate your partner’s drinking or drug use.
- Protect your partner from the consequences of his or her behavior.
- Allow yourself or your kids to be abused — physically, emotionally, or sexually.
- Nag, criticize, or argue over trivia. It doesn’t resolve anything and usually makes matters worse.
- Give up.
Recovery can be a long, slow process, but it really is worth the struggle. And you really can make it if you try. Gayle Rosellini http://www.doitnow.org/pages/804.html
Things do not change;
Henry David Thoreau