If you’re codependent and want to take control of your life, there are plenty of do’s to pay attention to, and at least as many don’ts. Do the following:
- Learn about chemical dependency. It’s a disease that thrives on ignorance.
- Talk to a therapist. Well-meaning friends and others untrained in the dynamics of addictions can do more harm than good.
- Contact Al-Anon or Codependents Anonymous. Attend several meetings before you decide if they’re for you. Each is listed in the white pages of the phone book.
- Be honest with your kids. They’re not deaf or blind when it comes to family problems. – Plain talk from you can relieve some of their fears and insecurities.
- Be patient. Change is difficult and slow. You won’t solve all your problems overnight, but you will improve your ability to cope and resolve problems with time.
Gayle Rosellini http://www.doitnow.org/pages/804.html
You’ll always get
what you’ve always gotten
until you become
the person you’ve never been!
Nothing changes if nothing changes.